You must have a PTIN to sign up for the Enrolled Agent Exam. Chances are you already have your PTIN, but if you do not, you will have to get one. The IRS Tax Professional PTIN Sign-up System is available at www.irs.gov/ptin. Once online, you will need to:
- Create Your Account. Provide your name, email address, and security question information. The system will then email your temporary password, which you will change when you go back to enter your information in the PTIN application.
- Apply for Your PTIN. Complete the online application by providing personal information, information about your previous year’s tax return, professional credentials, and more. You will need the following information available to complete this process.
- Permanent Mailing Address
- Address on you last filed tax return
- Social Security Number
- Professional Certification Number (e.g. CPA number) if you have one
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) if you have one
- Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) if you have one
- CAF Number, if you have one
IRS PTIN Sign-up Videos
You can preview the PTIN sign-up process on the IRS YouTube Channel. The IRS has created two step by step video recordings of the online PTIN Sign-Up process.