What is a CTEC registered preparer & how do I become one?


California law requires that anyone who prepares tax returns for a fee, and is not an attorney, certified public accountant (CPA) or enrolled agent (EA), to register as a tax preparer with CTEC.

All CTEC Registered Preparers must

  • First complete 60 hours of qualifying education
  • Then complete 20 hours of continuing tax education each year
  • Always maintain a $5,000 tax preparer bond.

Where do I get 60 hours of qualifying tax education?

CTEC maintains a list of approved education providers on its website.  You can search this list for companies that offer a 60 hour qualifying course.  The Phoenix Tax Group does not offer a 60 hour qualifying course at this time. Here is a link to the list on CTEC's website.  http://www.ctec.org/ProviderSearch.aspx

How do I get 20 hours of continuing tax education each year? 

The Phoenix Tax Group offers a 20 hour continuing education course that you can complete at work or in your own home.  We also offer shorter courses for people who have some continuing education hours from a conference or other course, but need additional credit hours to total a full 20 hours.

Please review our website for more information.  http://phoenixtax.com/continuing_education

Have more questions? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk